Home insurance can cover various aspects, including damage to the property, together with loss/theft of and damage to belongings. Policies are often available with three cover levels: contents only cover; buildings only cover or combined buildings and contents cover.

Prices will vary tremendously across different insurance companies, so it will be best to compare quotes using our quotes system. We will provide you with multiple quotes and summaries of each policy which makes for far quicker comparisons when trying to find the best deal on home insurance.


Contents insurance pays for damage incurred to, or loss of personal possessions within your home. Some contents insurance policies also provide restricted cover for personal possessions that have temporarily been removed from the home by the policyholder.


Buildings insurance covers the cost of damage incurred to the structure of the property. This includes the roof, walls, ceilings, floors, doors and windows. Outdoor structures such as garages and fences are also included.


Buildings and contents insurance is an often overlooked aspect of insurance, but ignoring it entirely is often a grave mistake. In this guide, we’re going to take a closer look at what these policies usually cover, and why it’s so important to have one.